Monday, July 27, 2009

Coffee

This just in from our nanny-state! Calorie-laden iced coffee drinks are putting people at increased risk of obesity and cancer an "expert" has warned.

Women could be consuming more than a quarter of their daily calories with just one drink.

Dr Rachel Thompson, science programme manager for the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF), analysed the calories at three leading high street chains: Starbucks, Caffe Nero and Costa Coffee.

Most iced coffee drinks contained over 200 calories, with some measuring in at around 450.

A Starbucks venti dark berry mocha frappuccino blended coffee with whipped cream has the highest number of calories - at 561.

Hmmmm, and it tastes so good! Rachel needs to get a life and stop scare-mongering. Her silly research is more than likely paid for by charitable donations and I think the money could have been better spent. In my experience the so-called experts know bugger all about what's good for us. I remember when an apple a day kept the doctor away, then it didn't, and now it does again.

Anyway, doesn’t she know that it’s been scientifically proven that caffeine staves off Alzheimers? Now if I can only remember to keep drinking it!

For anyone interested, here’s the calories in the major High Street coffee drinks!

Me, I’m a big fan of the Starbucks Dark Berry Mocha without the whipped cream! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.



Starbucks


Venti dark berry mocha with whipped cream 561
Venti dark berry mocha without whipped cream 457
Tall dark berry mocha with without whipped cream 288
Venti iced coffee 5
Tall iced coffee 3


Caffe Nero

Double chocolate frappe 483
Mocha frappe latte 483
Mocha frappe latte with skimmed milk 452
Framme latte with skimmed milk 277
Iced latte 117

Costa Coffee

Massimo iced mocha 361
Massimo coffee frescato 332
Primo coffee frescato 199
Primo iced mint latte 167
Primo iced mocha 152

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Leather, This is Mr. Leathers. I'm in Athens, Georgia, but my son Cobby Leathers lives in Sukhumvit. He sells real estate with the Sansiri Group, and he plays football for the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. (His team is in Hong Kong this week for a tournament.) Years ago I bought "The Chinaman" (since I don't know how to do italics in this text). I read it and enjoyed it thoroughly. Later I bought "Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye," misplaced it in the house somewhere and have not read it. Now that I see you are in BKK, I'll do a better job looking for the volume. I know it's around here under a pile somewhere. My wife and I will visit our son in BKK in a few months, maybe (unless he comes here first). Can I buy you a drink while we are there? As I said, Cobby is selling real estate, mostly around Hua Hin. We were just with him in mid-July for a family reunion in Hawaii. (My wife is from Haleiwa, Oahu.) Here's a link to a Bangkok real estate article that mentions our son: http://www.huahin-property.net/articles/red-lotus-huahin.htm. It is amusing to read one's young offspring (born 1975) being quoted -- sounding so businesslike. I also have a copy of his letter to the editor, published in the Bangkok "Post." In that message, Cobby is praising eco-friendly city buses, and he refers to Bangkok as "our city." Apparently his Thai language is nearly perfect, and he must feel at home in that crazy metropolis. Cobby really is quite a wry fellow. I'm prejudiced, of course, but I find him very amusing. I hope you will write to me. I see I must disguse my e-mail adress. So that would be lmleatherzzzatyahoo, and -- since I see that you must approve all comments on your blog -- you might delete my e-mail address if my message does get posted. I also saw that you receive very few e-mails from your readers. That seems odd to me. Anyway, who knows? You and I might be long-lost cousins way back. I'm from mostly British stock, though all my forbears were in America long before the Revolution, so if we are cousins, it's quite distant. Still, I'd be happy to claim the author of the eclectic and entertaining body of work that you have produced. Closing with my best wishes to you, Milton Leathers